My Dermatology Blog
Posts for tag: Wrinkles
Aging affects every part of your body, but the changes are particularly noticeable on your face. Dr. Howard Rosenman and Dr. Linda Leventhal, your Yardley, PA, dermatologists at Rosenman & Leventhal, PC, share a few wrinkle prevention tips and discuss several treatments that can help improve your appearance.
Preventing wrinkles with your Yardley doctors
Wrinkles form when collagen, a protein that keeps your skin supple and elastic, decreases. Both aging and exposure to UV rays can cause a decrease in collagen production. Using prescription tretinoin creams and gels can boost collagen production, reduce the appearance of fine lines, reverse sun damage and increase skin cell turnover. Products that contain vitamin C and glycolic acid can also help you increase collagen.
Wearing sunscreen every time you go outside is a simple way to keep your skin younger looking. Although it may be second nature to use the product in the summer, it's just as important to protect your skin from the sun in the winter.
Quitting smoking is one of the easiest ways to prevent wrinkles. Smoking decreases the amount of oxygen that reaches your skin and contributes to premature aging and wrinkles.
Your dermatologist offers several anti-aging treatments, including:
- Dermal fillers: This injectable treatment adds volume to your face and improves collagen production. Fillers smooth wrinkles, make lines around the lips less noticeable, reduce crow's feet, reduce nasolabial fold creases, and plump up thin lips and hollow cheeks.
- Botox injections: Botox injections block nerve impulses, which prevents you from contracting your facial muscles. When the muscles can't contract, the skin over them relaxes, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Botox is used to reduce lines between the eyes, forehead furrows and crow's feet.
- Microdermabrasion: During microdermabrasion treatment, your dermatologists uses a device that removes the top layer of your skin with a spray of fine crystals. The treatment reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels also remove the outer layers of the skin that contain wrinkles, although the results aren't immediate. Within days after you receive the peel, your skin will start to flake off, revealing smoother skin underneath.
- Laser treatment: Exposure to laser light stimulates collagen production, firms your skin and improves the appearance of lines, wrinkles, age spots, spider veins, freckles and red spots.
Anti-aging skin care treatments help you look your best. Call Dr. Rosenman and Dr. Leventhal, your Yardley, PA, dermatologists at Rosenman & Leventhal, PC, at (215) 321-3500 to schedule your appointment.
Lines and wrinkles are unavoidable as you age, but they don't have to permanently change your appearance. Dr. Howard Rosenman and Dr. Linda Leventhal, your Yardley, PA dermatologists at Rosenman & Leventhal, PC, explain how Botox injections can help you look more rested and youthful.
A simple way to smooth lines and wrinkles
Botox is so effective because it prevents nerve signals from reaching facial muscles, which temporarily prevents the muscles from contracting. When the muscles under your skin stop contracting, those annoying lines and wrinkles begin to soften. Botox, a purified substance made from the botulinum toxin, contains a very small amount of the toxin and is FDA approved.
Botox offers wrinkle relief for your entire face in Yardley
Have years of squinting into the sun left you with vertical lines between your eyes? Unfortunately, those "11" lines can give away your age. Botox injections smooth the lines, giving you a more youthful appearance. The treatments are also effective in treating several other types of facial lines and wrinkles, including:
- Crows Feet: These tiny lines appear at the corner of your eyes and become more prominent when you laugh or smile. Regular Botox injections help minimize their appearance.
- Furrows: In addition to vertical lines between your eyes, you may also develop horizontal furrows in your forehead. It's simple to treat both "11" lines and furrows during your visit.
- Lip and Mouth Lines: As you age, fine lines tend to form around your lips and mouth, which not only makes you look older, but also makes wearing lipstick more challenging. Botox treatments get rid of those lines simply and effectively.
When will I see results and how long will they last?
You may begin to see a change three or four days after you receive your injection, but it generally takes about two weeks to see the full effects. Results typically last three to four months. Regular follow-up appointments will ensure that your wrinkles don't return.
Interested in learning more about Botox injections? Call Dr. Rosenman and Dr. Leventhal, your Yardley, PA dermatologists at Rosenman & Leventhal, PC, at (215) 321-3500 to schedule an appointment.
How it works
Ideal candidates for Botox in Yardley
- Who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or planning to become pregnant
- Have a neurological disorder
- Are allergic to Botox injections