Wrinkle Prevention and Treatment Options
Aging affects every part of your body, but the changes are particularly noticeable on your face. Dr. Howard Rosenman and Dr. Linda Leventhal, your Yardley, PA, dermatologists at Rosenman & Leventhal, PC, share a few wrinkle prevention tips and discuss several treatments that can help improve your appearance.
Preventing wrinkles with your Yardley doctors
Wrinkles form when collagen, a protein that keeps your skin supple and elastic, decreases. Both aging and exposure to UV rays can cause a decrease in collagen production. Using prescription tretinoin creams and gels can boost collagen production, reduce the appearance of fine lines, reverse sun damage and increase skin cell turnover. Products that contain vitamin C and glycolic acid can also help you increase collagen.
Wearing sunscreen every time you go outside is a simple way to keep your skin younger looking. Although it may be second nature to use the product in the summer, it's just as important to protect your skin from the sun in the winter.
Quitting smoking is one of the easiest ways to prevent wrinkles. Smoking decreases the amount of oxygen that reaches your skin and contributes to premature aging and wrinkles.
Your dermatologist offers several anti-aging treatments, including:
- Dermal fillers: This injectable treatment adds volume to your face and improves collagen production. Fillers smooth wrinkles, make lines around the lips less noticeable, reduce crow's feet, reduce nasolabial fold creases, and plump up thin lips and hollow cheeks.
- Botox injections: Botox injections block nerve impulses, which prevents you from contracting your facial muscles. When the muscles can't contract, the skin over them relaxes, reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Botox is used to reduce lines between the eyes, forehead furrows and crow's feet.
- Microdermabrasion: During microdermabrasion treatment, your dermatologists uses a device that removes the top layer of your skin with a spray of fine crystals. The treatment reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
- Chemical peels: Chemical peels also remove the outer layers of the skin that contain wrinkles, although the results aren't immediate. Within days after you receive the peel, your skin will start to flake off, revealing smoother skin underneath.
- Laser treatment: Exposure to laser light stimulates collagen production, firms your skin and improves the appearance of lines, wrinkles, age spots, spider veins, freckles and red spots.
Anti-aging skin care treatments help you look your best. Call Dr. Rosenman and Dr. Leventhal, your Yardley, PA, dermatologists at Rosenman & Leventhal, PC, at (215) 321-3500 to schedule your appointment.